“Then who took my son?” aka, the Morning from Hell

One of my greatest fears as a mother, is that a stranger would take my son, and I wouldn’t know where my son was or what was happening with him, or whether I’d get him back. These fears are multiplied with a special needs child because of their special needs; the worry that they are even less able to fend for themselves, find their way home, and more likely to irritate and confuse whoever took them (with potentially horrid consequences). Yesterday morning I had a small taste of those fears coming true.

My son is picked up each morning by the same taxi driver, hired by the special-needs school to ferry my son and most of his fellow class-mates to and from school everyday. Yesterday was the first day back at school for the term. His taxi driver from last term had left, and at the end of last term he had trained up his replacement; acquainting him with each child’s special needs for getting on and off the taxi, and making sure us parents were familiar and comfortable with his replacement. But it wasn’t his replacement who turned up yesterday morning, knocking on our door at 7:30am.

It was some other man I’d never met before, looking a bit lost, but he was from the right taxi company, knew my son’s name, had the right looking taxi van. He was much earlier than the other driver was meant to come (closer to 8am) so I was a bit confused and disoriented. He said the other driver couldn’t do the run, and so he was the replacement. He wasn’t familiar with the car seats or the route, but he seemed to be sure he was meant to be picking up my son.

Any change in plans in life makes me nervous. So I’ve got used to telling myself to try to go with the flow; adjust and relax, don’t over-think it. So I let my son get in the taxi van with this stranger.

Ten minutes later the original replacement taxi driver turns up at our door, with one of the other students already in the back, ready to pick up my son.

I told him someone else had already picked up my son, he was confused and tried to call the base operations to find out what was going on. He couldn’t get through but said he’d sort it out, and drove off. Leaving me and my husband alarmed. I tried to get hold of the head teacher to let her know what had happened, but didn’t get a reply. My husband rang the taxi company to find out what was going on, they told him the taxi run had been taken off one of the drivers that was currently out there picking up these children. We weren’t told why. Thoughts start bouncing around as to why one of those drivers lost his run; was he a risk to our son, was he a poor driver, did he now have a vendetta with the taxi company and had refused to stand-down?

In the meantime we worried too that there would be no-one at the school if and when our son arrived; usually the teachers would meet him, but the new taxi driver clearly hadn’t been walked through the routine and we were worried he’d just drop off our son – probably far too early considering the early pick up – and then what would become of our wandering child?

My husband decided to drive to the school himself to wait for our son to appear, in case no teachers would be ready for him. Also of course, to make sure our son arrived safely. In the meantime I rang the taxi company again, who on three occasions told me he’d arrive at the school by a certain time, and each time that time would come and go and my husband would let me know they still hadn’t arrived. My husband had been waiting at the school for an hour. The teachers there didn’t know what was going on either. The children were all meant to arrive in the taxi van by 8:30, the usual half hour after our son usually leaves our house. 8:30 came and went. 9am came and went. Still no sign of the taxi or our son.

Other children from his class started arriving at school, dropped off by their parents, saying the taxi van had never turned up. Can you imagine what it was like by that stage? Our son is in a taxi van with a driver we don’t know, who might be the man who has had his other runs taken off him, in a taxi van that never turned up at these other homes, and he’s exceptionally late to the school.

The taxi company tells me during one call that our son has been transferred from one taxi van to another, but they can’t seem to confirm who the driver is of the van he’s currently on, and can’t seem to figure out why he hasn’t arrived at the end location yet.

Finally, at 9:10am, the taxi van arrives at school, with our son and some other students aboard. My son had never been transferred, he was in the same taxi van that took him from our home. Arriving an hour and a half after leaving; a half hour trip had tripled somehow. We were a few minutes shy of calling the police when it had finally turned up; that was how distraught and concerned we were as parents.

The whole situation would have been avoidable with more and better communication from the taxi company. It wasn’t until after the whole mess that we were finally told via the school – who hadn’t found out until after the mess too – that the original replacement driver (and man who turned up second) had lost the taxi run because his taxi van was unsuitable for carrying wheelchairs (and not due to some more sinister reason). The school shared our concerns and upset, and have taken the matter up with the taxi company on our behalf.

So that was my morning from hell. A morning of me bursting into tears between holding it together to make endless enquiries. Of feeling responsible for the situation; berating myself for not listening to my gut instinct when a stranger came to pick up my son. Though looking back I’m still unclear what I should have done differently; the taxi company didn’t know they had two people doing the rounds at that point anyway so they would have just reassured me to let this man take my son. The school wouldn’t have said any different either. Knowing that now didn’t make me feel any less responsible at the time though.

I spent the rest of the day feeling emotionally raw. My husband didn’t want our son to be picked up by the taxi company for the return home; he no longer trusted them to act responsibly and thoughtfully with our child. We decided eventually to let them bring him home, largely because the school had taken the issue seriously and has reassured us that they will be laying a complaint and looking into how this mess happened, and let the taxi company know that the lack of clear communication was unacceptable.

I had many nightmares last night, and this morning I’m still feeling the after-effects of those intense emotions. As the day wears on I know they’ll go, and this will just become a blip on the radar in time. Everything turned out fine, my son handled the situation well, life goes on. But I never want to feel that way again; even that tiny taste of one of my greatest fears coming true, was too much.

Gallery | This entry was posted in Parenting an Autistic Child and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to “Then who took my son?” aka, the Morning from Hell

  1. homepaddock says:

    No wonder you were distraught. It would be terrifying for you.

    When mobile phones and/or radios should enable the company to be in contact with every driver in every taxi at any time, it is difficult to understand what went wrong and why it took so long to sort out.

    At the very least a well trained driver who was late should know to notify the company and/or school.

  2. blogginglily says:

    yep. . . worst fears. Sounds like a pretty crappy morning, alright.

  3. Clara says:

    Giant hugs for you ❤ im not a parent just yet! But reading this i felt terrified for you D: Im very glad everything turned out okay ❤ but now your son has had that experience, he will know how to handle it if (heaven forbid!) it should arise again ^_^
    Hugs to all of you ❤ 😀

  4. nostromo says:

    The stuff of nightmares alright 😦
    Sometimes I think about having a GPS tracker on my little one, usually I’m thinking that when I can’t find him!

  5. Sharon says:

    Absolute worst fear. I started to feel anxious just reading your post.
    So glad it ended well. I would have been hysterical.

  6. KDL says:

    My daughter got locked out of her classroom one day after one of her pull out sessions. She became upset and didn’t know what to do. Luckily it was near pick up time and another mom who knows her and her needs happened by and helped her reconnect with her teacher. I came in on the tail end of it. Just knowing there were a few minutes where she was unsupervised and in an unfamiliar and upsetting situation gave me a fright, and it was over before I even really knew about it. I can’t imagine how upsetting it must have been to have your son outside his normal situation for that long, with that many unknowns. It sounded like your first driver was top notch. Hopefully you can find a way to make this work, but it would take me a long time to be trusting again. Was your son upset at all by the change in routine?

    • My son coped with it on the day remarkably well, but since then he has been more anxious about the arrival of the taxi van and where it’s going. I’m hoping that anxiety fades as he becomes more secure, but in my experience all it takes is one bad experience to change my son’s expectations and attitudes towards something for a very long time. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it and doing what I can to sooth and reassure him.

      On the up side this new driver is turning out to be a very kind and thoughtful man, who’s taken the time to learn my son’s name, always greets and sees him off with kind words and a smile, and has made me as the parent feel much reassured.

  7. D Fletcher says:

    Hmmmm….It’s a massive worry.

    A different taxi driver turned up at my 7 year old sons house the first Monday after autumn term holidays. Alarm bells rang when I got a call from his mum to tell me the news. I replied with…”ok, not his usual driver, right but today is a teacher training day”…! She said…”oh, well he hasn’t gone anyway because he’s unwell”….The obvious question was, so who was the unusual man at the door then?…Still trying to get to the bottom of it !!!…
    This still really freaks me out to be honest and makes me anxious every time I think about it.

Share your thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s